20120315

I've Got My Eye's On You

13 March 2012

Having barely recovered from the weekend trip to Hurricane I slept in till 9:00. Though this may sound late to some of you and early to others, it is both for me. I used to sleep or doze in bed until 10:00 sometimes as late as 11:00. Since starting homeschool I have had to try and change this habit. It is hard and has taken me quite some time to get used to waking up and getting out of bed by 7:30-8:00 on a regular basis. I am very much a night owl. I am very much NOT a morning person. I would rather stay up until 4:30 working on something than have to wake up at 4:30 to do the same thing. I believe full heartedly that this is a learned trait as everyone in my family has the same tendancy. I used to say it is genetic, but that gives you the impression that there is nothing that you can do about it and I have come to see those types of responses as cop-out answers. If you say there is nothing you can do about it, then the responsibility is taken from you and you no longer have to try to be a better person because it is out of your control. I call B S.



Anyways, when I got up I had the kids help me clean the house. While cleaning I got a phone call from my friend Elisa asking if I would come help her make some bookmarks. She is releasing her second book on St. Patrick's Day and has been invited to talk in two weeks at an elementary school about writing and being an author. Since she only has so many books to give away she decided to have bookmarks for the kids.

I of course, decided to make it complicated because I found some really cute bookmarks on Pinterest. I designed a witch bookmark for the girls and a pirate one for the boys. The witch is basically eyes with a big green nose with a wart and the pirate has an eye-patch and a mustache. It took me until about 3:00 pm to get the proportions and measurements just right. We fit eight to a page and emailed the file to AlphaGraphics to be printed. When we picked them up they offered to cut them as well for a small fee and I am so glad we did. Even with the individual bookmarks cut apart we still needed to hand-cut around the nose of the witch and the mustache of the pirate and then fold them and add a sticker. The bookmarks are this idea, though much different.


They turned out super cute and I hope the kids will like them, unfortunately we didn't even finish getting them all done and by 11:00pm we called it quits and spent the night at her place.Pinterest, I love you for making my life more creative and I hate you for making it complicated by making it creative.


EC Writes

If you want to know what Elisa's book is about or buy it go to her site! She also has an Art and Writing Contest going on right now in celebration of her book release. Winners prizes range from a Kindle to publication in an anthology published by Wayman Publishing to cash and more. So worth stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your insights by which we all may benefit.