20120201

Rocky Ledges

31 January 2012

We cleaned the house today, every last nook and craney. I even managed to get all the laundry put away and hung up and my room cleaned and Ember's room cleaned and cleared of the boxes that had been abandoned there. I am so proud of my kids (and myself!). It was a big task, but it needed doing and now that it is all clean it will be easier to keep it that way if I can just stay on top of it.

I finished The Lonesome Gods by Louis L'amour. Very excellent book. If you haven't read it, do so. I spent more time reading Charlotte Mason and reviewing some of the TJ Ed stuff. I am going to give myself a day before I start reading the next book, Little Britches by Ralph Moody. I am so glad I am doing this. Reading brings a whole new level of understanding and judgement to my daily interactions with my children, husband and others.



We drove out to Antelope Island again after lunch, I packed us a dinner this time. We drove to one of the beach locations and walked out on the half frozen sand for quite a distance before we were stopped by the water. The kids played there for a little bit then we drove around and read some of the plaques around the island and hiked up a trail to an overlook. It was fun, if not a bit nerve wracking having my kids up on the tops of rocks like that so close to an unforgiving drop. I just had to keep telling myself that the best way for them to learn safety was to experience places where caution was required. I knew they wouldn't fall, and if they did it wouldn't have been very far, most likely slip a few feet is all, but it was still nerve wracking.

Everyone made it back to the car safely and after taking a picture for a couple who had apparently been waiting for us to come back down the trail for just such a purpose, we climbed into the car and ate dinner. I gave the kids their journals again and they made their entries for the day.

At home we settled down on the couch and I read them stories, first from the Bible and then a few of their picture books. What a pleasant way to end the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your insights by which we all may benefit.